Changes for the better
SELECT is delighted to be offering five new CPD courses with Skills for Security, with Members entitled to a 20% discount
Discover the different transmission types for signalling, including IP, GPRS, GSM and PSTN, gather key information on the analogue switch-off of our telephone network and how this will affect security systems, and technical information on the standards, grading and classifications used for signalling.
• The purpose of signalling to an ARC
• How to identify the ATS paths used to transmit signals to an ARC
• The requirements, standards and codes of practice for ATE and URN
• The requirements to maintain and reinstate URN
• Why PSTN and ISDN are being phased out.
Cyber security for professionals
Discover industry recommendations to keep systems cyber secure and protected from vulnerabilities during the system design, installation, commissioning and maintenance of fire and security systems. This course will provide you with a step-by-step guide on the checks to complete to ensure end-users' systems are safe from attack, and more.
• Basic theory of TCP/IP
• Understanding what a network is
• Considerations when configuring networks, including the different types and topologies
• Cybercrime and the main threats that exist in 2021
• Security tools available to secure your networks
• Key cybersecurity considerations for those operating in the fire and security sector, including the new • BSIA code of practice and the recommended activities that all professionals should do when designing, installing and maintaining fire and security systems.
Intruder alarm survey and design
Learn about everything from the importance of surveying sites and designing a compliant intruder alarm system, to ensuring customer and site requirements are properly documented, and how to identify the correct equipment to comply with system grading for both intruder alarm installations and signalling.
• Develop a step-by-step process for carrying out a survey
• Learn how to carry out a security risk assessment
• Identify the right equipment to meet customer and grading requirements
• Learn about the required documentation for a survey
• Get an introduction to signalling, surveying and grading.
Survey and design of fire alarm systems
Learn about the role of a fire risk assessor and competency in fire risk assessments, as well as the design, installation, maintenance standards and design classification for fire alarm systems, including the relevant standards for audible and visual warning devices.
• The system protection categories and protection levels required for a building
• The use case, spacing, and zoning requirements for smoke and heat detection
• The purpose of a fire alarm system
• Ways in which false alarms can be managed and reduced
• The documentation used to design, maintain, and install a fire alarm system.
Survey and design of VSS
Learn all about risk assessments: how they help you design systems, the importance of site surveys and the purpose of grading. Get information on the key areas of system design and learn what documentation should be included within your design proposal.
• Why a risk assessment is used within VSS surveys and the design process
• What operational requirements are and why we need them
• What a site survey achieves
• What should be included within a system design proposal
• The documentation required when surveying and designing a system.
How to book
To book any of the above courses, please visit the Training section on the SELECT website at www.select.org.uk.
All courses take between four and six hours to complete and SELECT Members are entitled to a 20% discount on the usual price of £48 per session.
To take advantage of this offer, please submit your discount code at checkout. This code should have already been emailed to you. If you haven’t received it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will resend it.